Carter’s Cemetery located in the Central Sierra Foothill community of Tuolumne, it is one of the oldest and most beautiful cemeteries in California. Dating back to the earliest days of the California Gold Rush. The oldest gravesite is dated June 1854. Carter’s Cemetery has been the final resting place for many generations of Tuolumne County residents.
- On entering and while within the cemetery, funeral procession must observe the directions of the funeral representative.
- Funerals must be over, and everyone is to have left the cemetery grounds before sundown.
- Burials should be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Burials after 4:00 p.m. will be charged an additional fee.
- Scattering of ashes is not permitted in the cemetery.
Delivering merchandise and or work in the Cemetery
- Any person delivering merchandise, such as monuments, markers, grave markers of any style, vaults, or containers must report to a representative of Carter’s Cemetery prior to setting, erecting, installing, exchanging, or modifying any of these items.
- If delivery is to be made on a weekend or holiday, prior arrangements must be made at least two weeks in advance.
- A representative of Carter’s Cemetery must be notified when the delivery of the merchandise is complete.
- Any contractor or private person performing work in the cemetery must report to a cemetery representative before starting such work and will report to the cemetery representative when work is completed.
- No vehicle, trailer or combination thereof may travel through the cemetery except upon the hard surface roads, without prior permission of a cemetery representative.
- Any damages that occur as a result of vehicles or trailers leaving hard surface road without permission will be billed to the company responsible.
Flowers, Trees and Shrubs
- Fresh cut flowers will be removed when they turn brown.
- Wreaths, potted plants, baskets, and artificial arrangements (except decoration attached to monuments or in permanent vases) will be removed the last weekend in March and by the first weekend in August.
- No trees or shrubs may be planted with out prior approval of the Cemetery Manager.
- The use of glass containers is prohibited.
- Only three items per grave after internment.
Pets must always be restrained by leash.
Immediately pick up and properly dispose of pet waste.
The Board meets the first Monday of every month at 12 noon.
Public is invited to attend; comments are limited to three to five minutes.